Thursday, February 11, 2010

From the Top

"From the Top"....those are words that I usually mock and hate when doing any of Jillian Michaels work out videos. Just when you think there is light at the end of the tunnel....those three grueling words come out of her mouth..."From the Top."

In my case, my use of the words is a welcomed relief. For me, it means to re-evaluate, begin again.
I've done well with my weight loss so far, but the past week I've really started to feel burnt out. I think a great effort was made and a good dent was put into getting a head start...but after working out for almost and hour a day and feeling like I was dying after every one....and feeling really restricted on what I could eat...I've decided to revamp my program.

So...here is my plan:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: I'll do a video at home or go for a walk, ride the bike, etc.  Today I did Richards Simmons Dance Your Pants Off...I laughed at how ridiculous it was, but it was the perfect one hour work out and was low impact and didn't make me "hurt" but i felt like i got my heart rate up.

Tuesday, Thursday: I'm all Rose's. I need Rose to push me when it comes to more of the work with weights. It's not something I'm not disciplined enough to do myself.

I feel like the balance between the two will keep me on track for the long run.

Food:
I've decided I really want to try Weight Watchers. I have some friends who are doing it and doing well with it. I did it a few years ago and did well with it. I was pretty strict with what I ate the first few weeks, but I was eating ZERO bread and thats just not possible for me. To cut out everything and say...I cant have this or that just doesnt work with me because I obsess about it until I have it. My goal is to find "healthier ways" of cooking things that I crave. I think over time doing this will have curb the cravings and teach me how to eat right and still enjoy eating rather than dread eating one more chicken breast with green beans.



The re-vamping was not my biggest hurdle.....my biggest hurdle was finding my voice. See...I'm a people pleaser by nature. Always have been. I've always cared more about what other people thought about me or thought I should do rather than what I knew was best for me. This has been an issue in every area of my life leading to the downfall of putting myself first sometimes and standing up for me.

I have been stressed to the max because I was afraid Rose or Dr. B or someone else would be upset with me for this decision. I didn't want people to think I was ungrateful or a quitter. I didn't want people to think I wasn't serious or was wasting their time. This is no reflection on them because Rose was extremely understanding and supportive. I had nothing to worry about. It was all my ideas worked up.  But ultimately in the end, I know my body better than anyone else. I know my limits, and I know what I have to do to make lifelong changes. No one else can tell me what I can/can not do. They can only make suggestions.


Are there situations or issues in your life that you know are not healthy or best for you but you care too much what other people think to do anything about them? Or maybe its the opposite. Maybe you are doing something really great and YOU know it, but other people around you would not agree. I don't know which one is harder. To live under the pressure not to change or to follow your heart and do whats best for you having confidence that it's right.

I guess I'm challenging everyone to find their voice. Speak up for yourself. Don't let anyone else dictate what you need to do or who you are. Listen and accept the advice of others...they may have a point.....but filter it and figure out what pieces you need to hold on to and what you need to let go.

I'm not really weighing in this week....I checked it....but not on Rose's scale and since thats the one I'm really using most now, I want to wait before I post anything. Kind of at a stand still. Been another stressful week and I'm trying not to get caught up in the day to day as much as the the big over all long term picture.

Thanks for hanging in there with me and thanks to those of you who have checked up on me.
Love, Morgan

6 comments:

Allie Drain said...

go momo!!!! you're doing so well :D keep working momo, i'm praying for you! <3
-allie

Anonymous said...

Hey Morgan~~I think its a good idea to mix it up like you're doing because you aren't as likely to get bored with the whole thing!! And you are so right about you knowing what's best for you. Just do the best you can~~God Bless, Debby Ray

Unknown said...

Join us at Weight Watchers and conquer hungry!!
You go girl!!!!
Dianna

Kat said...

Great post, Morgan! I think this whole process takes a lot of evaluating and re-evaluating. I lost a lot of weight on low-carb at one point in my life, but I finally had to come to terms with the fact that I could not maintain a no-bread diet! I am much happier on low-cal and think I will be a lot more successful in the long run. Hopefully that is what weight watchers will do for you! I know many people who have done very well on that program. Good luck! :-) Can't wait to read how it's going!

Anonymous said...

Morgan, thanks for this post. I think my weight issues stem from not having a voice. With food I did have a one and a loud one at that. That is why I am overweight. I am learning to let my VOICE out, to make choices that will be in my best interest. I have done Weight Watchers and First Place program and found the latter the best. You could have things only the portions were smaller. This was more freeing to me. I, to, will end up going on an eating binge if I try to eliminate any foods. Will contiue to pray for you and give you a big thumbs up.

Abbi said...

It's so hard NOT to let people's opinions sway us sometimes. I'm a people-pleaser, too and it's hard to reverse that habit. I'm proud of you for listening to your body and your inner voice...those are crucial changes to make in order to make the weight loss and healthy changes PERMANENT.

I'm for you. You can do it.