Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Time for ME

well Ladies and Gentleman....
It's officially happening....I'm taking a break.....I'm turning off my phone, and I'm retreating for a few days.

Come Thursday by Lunch time I hope to officially be off for a few days. I'm planning on reading a lot. Sleeping a lot. Thinking a lot. Praying a lot. Laughing a lot.....and RELAXING A LOT.

This past month has been one of the most exhausting and emotionally draining months of my life. The Upward Basketball Season at church, which was AWESOME, but required me to be at the church at 7:30am every Saturday for the past 6 weeks, just came to a close last night. And I have injured myself not once but TWICE in the past few weeks resulting in this hideous boot up to my knee for the next 3-6 weeks. And on top of that a stomach bug and sinus infection...WHEW....I think my body is in SHUT DOWN mode if I don't do something about it.

I've been exhausted every day when I wake up...it's like I can't get enough sleep. But I also haven't been exercising like I was. Well..this morning I worked out with Rose...I use the term "work out" loosely as it was a little difficult with this boot....but the point was that I did something. I sat on the exercise ball and did arm exercising with weights, while having to use my core to balance, and did crunches as well. It wasn't a hard workout at all, but I did feel better after wards just by doing something.

The other day when I was sick I laid in bed and watched a new DVD I picked up. I don't know how many of you have heard of the the TV show "Ruby". It's about a woman who was close to 500 pounds who lives in Savannah, GA who decided to get serious about her health. I had heard about it, but without cable, haven't been able to watch it. Her DVD, "The First 100 pounds" was on sale at Lifeway Christian so I picked it up and watched the 170 minute DVD in one sitting. I laughed, I cried, I dreamed, I got angry at people in her life, I reminisced about Savannah......but more than anything, I was encouraged to do something.

When Ruby first started, she wasn't able to hardly walk on the treadmill..... and I have no idea where she is now in her weight loss journey, but I feel pretty certain she is close to her goal. It just took her deciding that she was going to do SOMETHING....So....on days like today and in the days to come when its easy to make excuses for why I can't do anything...my goal is to do SOMETHING....

will the weight come off as fast? No
Will I possibly gain some weight back? possibly
Will it be the end of the world if i do? No
Is something better than nothing? yes

So if you are someone who is making excuses or thinks a major diet or work out plan is just too much, I'm going to challenge you along with myself to do SOMETHING. Even a small step or change is progress.


So....give me some good movie or book ideas for my time off. And if you can't reach me....don't get bent out of shape. Leave a message or send an email. I'll be better for it when I'm back among the living :)

4 comments:

Kat said...

I love Ruby :-) I even met her by chance at Wal-mart when I was still living in Savannah! Just as sweet in person as on TV. We don't have cable either, so I subscribe to the season through itunes, which lets me keep the episodes and watch them as much as I want, which is nice! I didn't realize it was coming out on DVD too. A teeny spoiler alert: She's closer to her goal now, but experiencing some disappointing setbacks... I think that makes her more relatable to the rest of us though. ENJOY your time off! Sounds like it is much deserved :-)

Unknown said...

Morgan you are awesome. Anyone else would have used that boot as the perfect excuse to sit & take it easy-like me! You are so totally right too! I am very impressed and I know the devil is trying to derail you & what do you do-you do upper body workout! You are awesome! Keep up the excellent work & I appreciate the inspiration.

Gina said...

I found your blog through a friends, and I've been reading it often. I am close to 300 pounds and am trying desperately to get the weight off. Its hard feeling like I'm the token fat person amongst my friends. I blame it on the fact I had 5 kids in 6.5 years, but the youngest is 3 and I've run out of excuses. You are an inspiration.

Gina said...

Thank you for the sweet comments on my blog! I thought it was cool that we are the same age. Although most days in my head, I'm still 13, and I wonder where the heck all these kids came from!

You are in my prayers new friend! Trying to lose weight and just live life in the middle of a divorce, I can't imagine, but my heart aches for you. I know you are looking to Him and He will guide you!